Traveling is good for your health as well as your soul. People who travel frequently are happier than most people and also gather more knowledge and experience through their travels.
If you cannot afford to buy real estate property in your vicinity, or you want to diversify your holdings, it is better to invest in out-of-state property. If you invest in out-of-state property you will need to do a lot of travelling. As a real estate investor with over 15 years of experience and a frequent flyer, Franklin Cruz can provide you with sure-fire travelling tips for real estate investors.
- Travel light: As a real estate investor, whenever you are travelling, you should always travel light and compact. This will enable you to move freely and also save you money from the fees that most airlines charge for checked baggage nowadays. A common myth is that the more days you travel, the more things you need. If you can rotate your clothing, a 7 day travel requires only a bit more stuff than an overnight stay. That is why it is essential that you carry only essential items and restrict your luggage to 1 carry-on and 1 book bag per person. I personally prefer the 21 inch iFly hard shell carry-on like this one http://www.amazon.com/iFly-Carbon-Racing-Hard-Luggage/dp/B00PUC4TSW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 and Oakley Bathroom Sink bookbag like this one here http://www.amazon.com/Oakley-Mens-Bathroom-Sink-Bag/dp/B00C656HIQ . Pack efficiently and you won’t be needing more than that.
- TSA PreCheck: Time is money. As a real estate investor, you must have an idea how much time is wasted by doing things inefficiently. Imagine how much time you can save if you can jump the security queue at the airport. Well you can do just that with a TSA PreCheck. TSA PreCheck essentially means that you have been pre-approved by the US Customs and Border Protection, and deemed a low risk traveller. This enables you to skip the queue and get into a special PreCheck line where the security check gets over in about 2 minutes. TSA PreCheck is pretty cheap, costs about $80 and lasts for 5 years.
- Food and water: Most airlines do not provide a hot meal. When you are travelling for whatever reason, you need to stay hydrated and take care of your health. As a real estate investor, you may not get time to have a sit-down dinner most of the time. That is why you should keep some food in your bag. I always carry power bars and protein bars that helps me through a long day. Another thing you should carry with you at all times is a water bottle. I personally carry this glass water bottle with a steel top – http://www.amazon.com/MIU-COLOR-Portable-Handmade-Switzerland/dp/B00QTD8H34
- Charger and chord bag: Your phone and tablets are bound to run out of juice when you are travelling a long distance. That is why you should carry your charger with you at all times. You can also opt for turbo chargers that charge up your phone twice as fast. There are powerbanks too like this one here – http://www.amazon.com/KMASHI-Thunderbolt-Incredible-Blackberry-Smartphones/dp/B00JM59JPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442334200&sr=8-1&keywords=power+bank , which lets you charge your phone on the go.
Since you will be carrying a lot of gadgets like phone, tablet, laptop, camera etc. there will be an array of connection chords. Try to keep them in a single bag as it will save space.
5. Gather some info beforehand about the place you are visiting: The most important part of travelling is gathering info beforehand. This will help you prepare yourself according to the climate and environment of your destination. If you are moving to a different timezone, you should maintain the routine of your own timezone, or else your body will not be able to cope with the frequent change. This is especially true for people whose work involves frequent travelling, like real estate investors. If you are having trouble sleeping due to difference in timezones, you can opt for melatonin –http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bounty-Melatonin-240-Tablets/dp/B000GG6D9A. If you want to sleep on your way to the destination, but there is a blazing light around or it is daytime, you can safely cover your eyes with bedtime bliss http://www.amazon.com/Bedtime-Contoured-Comfortable-Moldex%C2%AE-Includes/dp/B00FJQFJX8. They will completely cover your eye and let you have a peaceful nap.
6. Small Ziploc side bags: There are many small things you need to carry while travelling like cufflinks, and collar stays. You won’t lose them if you keep them in separate side bags and you will find them easily too.
7. TSA approved carry-on kit: You should always look your best while travelling. A well-groomed appearance will always work in your favour as a real estate agent. You can carry all your grooming items like razors, aftershave lotions, cologne etc. in a TSA approved carry-on it. It will keep all your items in a compact space.
Iron your clothes as soon as you get to your hotel as dressing smartly is just as important. I personally use a Philips Sonicare toothbrush like this one here – http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonicare-HX6932-Rechargeable-Toothbrush/dp/B000UK2W4C
8. Mifi: It is absolutely essential to stay connected to the internet while travelling. A device that will keep all your electronic gadgets connected to the internet is the Verizon Jetpack MiFi. Be sure to buy the model which supports both 3G as well as 4G as there are some places in America only where there is no 4G network coverage. So, if you buy a 4G only model and travel to those locations, you will be in a pickle. http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-MiFi-Jetpack-4620L-Wireless/dp/B0089P1RIM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1442332692&sr=1-1&keywords=verizon+jetpack+3g+and+4g
9. Portable microphones and headphones: Headphones are essential during travels as you will be talking a lot on the phone and also listen to music or catch movie on the way. I prefer the Harman/Kardon headphones as they flip sideways and slide easily into the bag. It also comes in a durable case that protects it from damage. http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-NC-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00A4A3SNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1442332815&sr=1-1&keywords=harman+kardon+headphones. If you do not like the microphone of your device you can always opt for a USB microphone like this one – http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone-Textured/dp/B000EOPQ7E.
10. Miscellaneous Items: There are several items that you may carry while travelling depending on your role as a real estate investor. If you are a real estate mentor like me, you will need to keep a lot of notes and hence carry a notebook. If you are travelling alone and wants to take some pictures, you can carry a portable selfie stick. If you are travelling to a place where there is a lot of sun and you have to spend a lot of time outdoors, you better carry a pair of Sunglasses. Make sure you use a hard case for your sunglasses as they break easily.
Thank you so much for sharing your ideas, dream and goals-with-souls with us. The comment section is truly awesome and sacred place – due in very large part to your kindness, compassion and courage. If you found value in this interview, please share it with your friends – it would mean the world to us.
Share what you got out of this post below:)